SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F and arrange racks in upper and lower thirds.
2. Whisk together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, poppy seeds, and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Beat together butter, granulated and confectioners' sugars in a large bowl on high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add extract and beat until combined well.
4. Reduce speed to low and slowly add flour mixture, beating until just combined. Chill dough 10 minutes.
5. Divide dough in half. Roll one half into a log that will fit into the barrel of cookie press; transfer to barrel. Fit press with a small star-shaped disk.
6. Hold cookie press at an angle over an ungreased cookie sheet and press the trigger about 3 times while pulling the press away from you to form a 6-inch-long stick. If stick comes out longer, cut off extra dough and reuse. Continue making sticks, spacing 1-1/2 inches apart. Refill press with dough as needed. Carefully curve tops to form candy candies, alternating the direction of the curves. Freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
7. Bake, switching cookie sheets halfway through, until pale golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer cookies on sheets to rack and cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Using a metal spatula, carefully transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.
8. Meanwhile, lightly oil a wire rack. Melt chocolate in the top of a double boiler set over boiling water (water should not touch top). Place coconut, nuts, and decorating sugar in 3 separate shallow bowls, for toppings.
9. Working with 1 cookie at a time, coat both sides of curved end with melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip back into bowl. Sprinkle front of dipped side with 1 topping. Place on prepared rack. Repeat with remaining cookies, chocolate, and toppings. Let cookies stand until chocolate sets, at least 1 hour or overnight. (Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container, in single layers separated by waxed paper, up to 1 week.) Makes about 48 cookies.