1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F and arrange rack in center. Line 1 (12-cup) standard muffin pan or 2 (24-cup) mini muffin pans with baking cups.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
3. Beat butter in a large bowl on high speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add sugar, egg, yolks, extract, and cream; beat until combined well.
4. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, beating until just combined.
5. Spoon batter into cups, filled three-quarters of the way up sides and smoothing tops with back of spoon.
6. Bake until cupcakes are lightly golden and spring back when pressed gently, 22 to 24 minutes for standard, 16 to 18 minutes for minis. Transfer cupcakes in pan to rack and let cool 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and place on racks to cool completely before frosting. Makes 12 standard or 48 mini cupcakes.