1. Combine jam, barbecue sauce, zest and coriander in a small bowl, for dipping sauce. Set aside.
2. Bring 2-1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan to a boil. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and the rice; reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork and let cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil, the shallot, chili powder, 3/4 teaspoon salt and the pepper in a large bowl; add steak and toss until coated well. Marinate at room temperature 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, combine basil, parsley, thyme, remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Toss with rice just before serving.
5. Preheat grill or gill pan to moderately high heat; lightly oil rack. Thread 1 to 2 slices of steak onto each drained skewer. Grill, turning once, until just cooked through, about 4 minutes. Serve with dipping sauce and rice.