SPECIAL OFFER: - Limited Time Only!
(The ad below will not display on your printed page)
1. In a mixer bowl, beat together almond paste, 1 egg, 1 egg white, the flour and salt on high speed until fluffy, about 1 minute; set aside.
2. Cut apples into 3/8-inch-thick slices and in a large bowl toss with juice, sugar, ginger and nutmeg.
3. Heat oven to 375 degrees F and place rack in lower third. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll out pie crust dough into a 14-inch oval. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Spread almond paste mixture over dough, leaving a 2-inch border around edge. Arrange apple slices over almond paste. Fold over border, pleating dough and covering outer edges of apples. Freeze 10 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, beat together remaining yolk and 2 tbsp. water. Brush over crust. Generously sprinkle crust and apples with sugar. Top with nuts.
5. Bake until filling is just golden and apples are tender, about 1 hour. If crust browns too quickly, cover only crust with foil. Broil until apples are slightly browned, about 1 minute. Slide galette on parchment onto a wire rack. Let cool slightly before serving. Serve with whipped cream, if desired. Makes 8 servings.
1. In a food processor, pulse together flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and pulse until largest pieces are the size of peas. In a cup, combine water and vinegar; drizzle, a little at a time (just using amount needed), while pulsing, into flour mixture until a dough just starts to form (mixture will appear dry but will form a soft dough when pressed with fingers). If dough still crumbles, pulse in a little more water mixture.
2. Turn dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap and quickly form a ball by gathering together and pressing with hands. Halve and wrap each piece in plastic wrap, pressing to flatten into disks. Refrigerate until ready to use.