Talking Tomatoes with the Pioneer Woman
Maybe you've seen her best-selling cookbook, The Pioneer Woman Cooks, or her popular blog, thepioneerwoman.com. We're delighted to help you get to know Ree Drummond now that she's dishing with LHJ on a regular basis.
"I love to cook, and if I could spend my days preparing elaborate gourmet meals, I'd be happy as a lark," Drummond tells us. "But I live on a busy ranch with my husband and four children, so I look for simple, scrumptious meals that use readily available ingredients. Right now my garden is bursting with tomatoes in different shapes and colors. A BLT with a tomato still warm from the sun is pure perfection. Slices of fresh mozzarella and that just-picked tomato will change your life. And a simple panzanella salad is the ideal summer meal after a long, hot day of work...or play."
To make panzanella
- Cut day-old crusty French bread into cubes.
- Toss in a large bowl with tomato wedges and red onion, halved and thinly sliced.
- Make a simple dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Lightly toss salad, pouring in the amount of dressing you like; bread cubes should be lightly coated but not soaked.
- Add salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and allow to sit for at least an hour.
- Sprinkle basil leaves over the top before serving.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!