10 Great Places to Meet a Man
More Super Spots
5. Blood Drives. While the Red Cross does not release statistical data on the male/female ratio of blood donors, any guy who would give up his own body fluids to help out a stranger has got to be a quality date. And even if you don't meet an altruistic hottie, you've helped save a life. Striking up a conversation is easy. After you've made your deposit, hang out by the snack table and ask a light-headed cutie whether he recommends Oreos or Cheese-Its as his strength-builder of choice. From there, you might both decide that dinner is the best option.
6. Science-Fiction Conventions. You'll find a slightly geeky crowd here, but that's OK. Guys who weren't popular in high school make excellent boyfriends. After the braces come off and the acne clears up, you're left with a smart, nice-looking man who on some level will always feel extremely grateful to have a girlfriend. Plus, they're handy when your computer crashes. So, read a couple of good science-fiction books -- or just rent The Lord of the Rings. Then ask a late-bloomer about his favorite Phillip K. Dick novel, and he'll take it from there.
7. Regular-Guy Bars. Don't go to that super-trendy night spot filled with icy women in towering heels and snarky men in shiny shirts. If you want to find a nice, laid-back guy, go to a bar that has sawdust on the floor and bowling trophies on the walls. Sports bars are particularly good because 98 percent of the clientele will have a Y chromosome. Also, the game playing on the bar's many TVs provides a natural conversation-starter. Your neighborhood tavern is also a good bet. Find one that has games -- pool, darts, foosball -- and then challenge a flannel-shirted cutie.
8. Car Shows. Sure, you'd rather see the new Matisse exhibit; just squint your eyes and pretend it's abstract art. Guys who are really into cars tend to be very capable and good with their hands, even if they sometimes provide you with more information about your Jetta's carburetor than you really need. You don't have to exhibit any particular knowledge of cars, says a frequent visitor to such shows. "Just say 'Hey, nice car!' As long as you're talking, that's good enough," he says.
9. The Internet. Online dating used to be for computer nerds and agoraphobics, but times have changed. There are now millions of nice, normal guys a mere click away. "It's becoming one of the best ways to meet people, as it allows you to sift through large numbers of people while sitting in your own home," says author Atwood. Of course, one does have to read the ads with a skeptical eye -- the veteran online dater understands that words like "tall" and "fit" are pretty subjective. But as a woman, the odds are in your favor when you use Internet dating -- Match.com, one of the nation's largest online dating services, reports that 62 percent of its members are men.
10. Your Own Home. Throwing parties is one of the best ways to get yourself into the dating scene. Even if you don't meet an eligible bachelor at your own shindig, becoming the hostess with the mostest will naturally get you reciprocally invited to barbecues, wine-tastings, poetry readings, etc. And if a friend does bring along a handsome stranger to your next house party, you have ample reasons to chat him up. After all, he'll need you to take his coat, fetch him a drink, and tell you where he's been all your life.
You've met your guy, now how do you know if he's actually into you? Watch our video to find out.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!