5 Quick & Easy Costumes
Morning GloryWhat You Need:
- 2 dark pink crafts-foam sheets
- 1 light pink crafts-foam sheet
- 2 green crafts-foam sheets
- Small straw hat (pink is best)
- 3 fat green chenille stems
- 4 fat pink chenille stems
- 1/8-inch ribbon
1. Download the free plans for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Cut out patterns. Prepare pattern pieces from 12x18-inch foam sheets: A) Large, dark pink petals: Cut four petals, 8-1/2x11 inches. B) Light pink petals: Cut four petals, 5-1/2x7 inches, and four petal strips, 2x7 inches. C) Stem top: To create the dark green neck collar, cut a 13-inch circle in green crafts foam, then cut triangular notches to create a starburst shape. Remove a pie-shape section of the starburst pattern, about 1/4 of the circle. (If using our downloadable pattern, fold the foam in half and lay the dotted line on the fold.) D) Green collar leaves: Cut four heart-shape leaves, 6-1/2x8-1/2 inches. Cut five small leaves, 4-1/2x6 inches.
3. Stitch petals. Stitch flat end of large petals 1-1/2 inches apart around the outer base of turned-up hat brim. Stitch small petals between the large petals. With a couple of stitches, tack sides of petals together to keep them upright. Tack top and bottom of inner petal strips to center of large petals.
4. Insert stems. Fold pink chenille stems in half. Poke ends through back of hat and pull to the front. Curl ends. Poke end of a fat, green chenille stem through top of hat. Twist end so it can't pull through.
5. Finish hat. Form stem top into cone and sew together. Place over top of hat, pulling chenille stem through the stem top.
6. Make collar. For the collar, punch two holes at top of each leaf, about 1-1/2 inches apart. Thread ribbon through holes.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!