All Set to Party
New Year's Wishes
A napkin makes a perfect canvas for the fine art of autographing, and becomes a fun keepsake for guests to take home. Tuck a second napkin, for use at the table, inside the one to be signed.What You Need:
(for each guest)
- 2 cloth napkins, in contrasting colors
- Extra-fine-point fabric pen
- Silver fabric
- Fusible interfacing
- Ironing board and iron
- Silver paint
- Heavy paper and scissors or crafts knife, or 6 precut wooden stars in various sizes
- Crafts glue
1. Download the free star patterns. Choose either the rounded-edge or pointed stars. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Cut out fabric and interfacing stars. For each guest, cut 2 large stars from silver fabric. Using the same pattern, cut the same number of stars from interfacing.
3. Fuse stars to napkins. Pin an interfacing star to the back of each silver star. Sandwich one corner of a napkin between 2 stars. Follow manufacturer's instructions to fuse fabric and interfacing. Let cool.
4. Personalize. Using fabric pen, write each guest's name on a fused star.
5. Make stars for streamers. Using small- and medium-size star patterns, cut out 6 small stars from paper. Or punch out 6 small stars from precut wood. Paint these stars silver. Let dry.
6. Assemble streamers. Knot together several 12-inch lengths of narrow ribbon. Glue a wood or paper star to the end of each ribbon. Let dry.
7. Fold napkins. Lay the personalized napkin face-up (so you can read the name on the corner star). Place the for-the-table napkin on top. Fold the two napkins in half diagonally (the name on the star will be facing in). Roll them loosely into a cone shape. Secure the roll with the ribbon streamers or a silver napkin ring. If using a napkin ring, tuck the ribbon streamers inside. Fold down the corner with star so the name shows. Slip a fabric pen into rolled napkin.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!