For either bookmark:
- 17 inches of 3/8-inch-wide double-faced satin ribbon for each bookmark
- Beads with large openings (available at crafts and discount stores); for the Fuchsia Bookmark, select 3 clear blue faceted beads and 1 white frosted bead;
for the Fringed Bookmark, choose 2 silver beads
For the Fringed Bookmark:
- Multicolored silver-lined large rocaille beads (about 100)
- 25 silver seed beads
- Beading needle
- White beading thread
Fuchsia Bookmark: 1. Tie a knot 1 inch from the end of the ribbon. Slide beads from the opposite end of the ribbon up to the knot. Tie a knot on the other side of the beads to hold in place.
2. Measure 10 inches from the inside knot and tie another knot. Put on the remaining bead(s) and slide up to the knot. Tie another knot against the last bead. Trim the ribbon ends.
Fringed Bookmark: 1. Tie a knot on one end of the ribbon and trim the end close to the knot. Thread the beading needle and go through the ribbon knot to secure the end of the thread in the knot. String on 19 multicolored rocaille beads, then 4 silver seed beads. Take the needle back through the rocaille beads. The seed beads will form a loop at the end. Go back through the ribbon knot, pulling the thread so the fringe hangs below the knot. Repeat with another string of fringe. Make 5 strings. Secure the end of the thread in the knot.
2. Slide on a silver bead from the other end of the ribbon and pull over the ribbon knot holding the fringe. Tie a knot against the bead to hold it in place.
3. Measure 10 inches from the last knot made in Step 2 and tie another knot. Slide on a silver bead and tie a knot on the other side of the bead to secure. Trim the end of the ribbon.More Ideas:
- To personalize a bookmark, write a name on the ribbon using a permanent marker or a fabric-paint pen.
- Make both beaded ends the same and use your ribbon as a gift tie to cinch up a surprise sack.