Christmas Cross-Stitch Crafts
Place MatStitching: What You Need
For each place mat
- 9-inch x 14-inch piece of 32-count stoney point linen
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.) With a 9-inch edge of the linen at the top, find the vertical center of the fabric and measure 6-1/4 inches from the top edge; begin stitching the top of the tree there. Stitch three branches and a trunk.
- 7-inch x 14-inch piece of stoney point Aida cloth or other fabric
- 13-3/4-inch x 14-inch piece of teal green Aida cloth or other fabric
- Matching sewing threads
- 8 inch square scrap of rust decorator fabric
- Pinking shears
1. Sew together the stoney point and teal green Aida cloth pieces along a 14-inch edge, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Zigzag-stitch the seam allowances together and press toward the darker fabric. Zigzag-stitch around the outer edges of the place mat and press under 1/2 inch. Topstitch 1/4 inch from the outer edges.
2. Trim the stitched piece into a 6-inch x 11-inch rectangle with the bottom of the tree 1-1/2 inches from the bottom of the rectangle. Press under 1/4 inch on the side and bottom edges. Fold and press a 1-1/4-inch-wide cuff at the top edge of the linen, creating a pocket that measures 4-1/2 inches x 6 inches.
3. Cut a 1-1/2-inch x 4-1/2-inch rust decorator fabric strip and trim one long edge with pinking shears. Slip the strip between the cuff and the pocket with 1/4 inch of the pinked edge extending beyond the cuff. Sew through all layers about 1/8 inch from the bottom edge of the cuff.
4. Cut a rectangle of rust fabric 2 inches larger than the linen pocket. Center and pin the pocket on the rectangle. Baste through all layers about 1/8 inch from the side and bottom edges of the pocket. Use the pinking shears to trim the rust fabric 1/4 inch beyond the side and bottom edges of the pocket. Working from the wrong side of the pocket, trim away the rust fabric 1/2 inch inside the basting line and even with the top edge of the pocket. Be careful not to cut the linen pocket.
5. Pin the pocket on the place mat 5/8 inch from the left and bottom edges. Sew the pocket to the place mat along the basting lines.