Dragon Kite Craft
- Lightweight paper, 18 x 24 inches
- 3-foot piece of string
- Clear packing tape
- Five 1/16-inch wooden dowels (one 18 inches, one 17 inches, one 12-1/2 inches, and two 3 inches in length)
- White garbage bag
1. Download the free pattern for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Fold paper in half according to your kite pattern. With a pencil and ruler, following dimensions given, mark kite outline on your paper. Cut along your markings, through both thicknesses of paper.
3. Draw a dragon on the kite. Cut the tail from a garbage bag. Decorate tail with permanent marker.
4. Turn your kite over; use clear packing tape to affix the wooden dowels. Work on one dowel at a time, placing tape where indicated. Finish by taping tail pieces at the bottom of the kite.
5. Parents should assist young children with this step. Use a nail or needle to poke four holes through the kite where indicated. Turn the kite over so the front is facing you. Create bowline as follows: Drop one end of 3-foot string through Hole A; bring it back up through Hole B. Tie. Repeat through Holes C and D. Attach kite string to the center of your bowline.