Halloween Ghost and Bat Puppets
White acrylic paint and brush
White cheesecloth, usually available at the grocery store
Flat-head thumbtacks or straight pins
- With a sharp knife, hollow out your small pumpkins from the bottom. (This is a step for adults only.)
- Leaving the stem intact, carve the face.
- Wipe the pumpkin so that it's totally dry, and then paint the entire surface of the pumpkin with white acrylic paint.
- Unroll your cheesecloth and cut it to the size of a bandanna. Carefully pin the cheesecloth skirt into the bottom of the pumpkin, using a few thumbtacks or straight pins to anchor it in place.
A small pumpkin or gourd
Thick black felt
Black-tipped straight pins
Thick white paper or cardboard
- Create the bat's eyes by pushing the two straight pins into the gourd.
- Cut the wings from your black felt.
- Attach the wings with hot glue or more black straight pins.
- Draw fangs on the white paper, cut out, and attach with hot glue.
Originally published on LHJ.com, September 2006.