Halloween Tree Trims
Easy etching turns a simple glass ball into a jolly jack-o'-lantern.What You Need:
- Clear glass round ornament
- White vinegar
- Tracing paper
- Carbon paper
- Contact paper (available at discount, hardware, and home center stores)
- X-acto knife (available at art and crafts stores)
- Spoon for burnishing
- Rubber gloves
- Etching cream (available at crafts stores)
- Paintbrush with natural bristles or a sponge brush
- Natural raffia
1. Download the free pattern. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Clean glass, trace pattern. Clean the glass with hot water and white vinegar. Important: Avoid fingerprints on areas to be etched. Using tracing paper, trace the pattern.
3. Trace, cut, adhere pattern, and burnish. Place carbon paper between the tracing and self-adhesive paper. Trace the pattern onto the self-adhesive paper. Cut out shapes using an X-acto knife and remove the pieces. Stick the self-adhesive paper pattern on the ornament, clipping the edges as necessary so the paper lies flat. Burnish (rub down) the paper using a spoon.
4. Paint with etching cream. Put on rubber gloves. Paint on the etching cream following the manufacturer's instructions.
5. Rinse cream, remove paper, and decorate. Rinse off the etching cream. Remove the self-adhesive paper. Tie some raffia and a leaf to the ornament.More Ideas:
- Use this same technique on a rose bowl and fill with candy for a special Halloween gift.
- For additional Halloween motifs, try etching bats, cats, and ghosts on your glass ornaments.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!