Halloween Wind Sock
The Halloween wind sock is stitched using several colors of yarn and simple stitches that work quickly over 7-count plastic canvas. The nylon streamers are edged with sequins on a string that sparkles even when the moon is shining.What You Need:
- Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight yarn in kiwi (651), bright yellow (324), black (312), lavender (358), white (311), and vibrant orange (354)
- No. 13 tapestry needle
- 7-count plastic canvas, cut, 85 holes x 35 holes
- Cotton embroidery floss in black and white
- Hot-glue gun and hot-glue sticks
- 1 yard of black nylon fabric
- Cutting mat
- Rotary cutter
- Approximately 20 yards of orange and black sequins on a string
1. Download the free project pattern. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Following the chart, stitch the design on plastic canvas using the continental stitch. Do not stitch the first four columns of the left edge of the design. Start in the fifth hole at the top left, beginning with the fifth stitch. Stitch all French knots using four strands of floss.
3. After stitching is completed, except for the four left columns, fold the plastic canvas to form a tube. Overlap the four columns of holes on each end and finish stitching the design, going through both layers of canvas to join the ends.
4. Overcast the top and the bottom edges using black yarn.
5. Cut two 30-inch lengths from orange, kiwi, and black yarns. Tie the yarns together on one end and divide the yarns into the two yarns of each color. Braid together for 17 inches. Tie the yarns together at the end of the braid and trim any excess yarn. Glue one end inside the top of the plastic canvas tube and glue the other end on the opposite side to form a hanger.
6. Spread nylon fabric on the cutting mat. Use a rotary cutter to cut the fabric into 10 lengthwise strips that are 2 inches wide. Stop cutting 1 inch from the top edge. Apply glue along the long sides and press sequins along edge. Let the glue dry. Apply glue along the bottom inside edge of the plastic canvas tube 1/2 inch from the bottom. Glue the top edge of the nylon streamers to the tube.