Light up the night with simple shapes cut from modeling clay. Bits of metal and wire add modern flash.What You Need:
- Waxed paper
- Modeling clay
- Rolling pin
- Star cookie cutters in various sizes
- Paper clips
- Wire cutter
- Acrylic paint in silver and gold
- Eyelets or small metallic studs
- 18-gauge wire
- Silver or gold key chains or ankle chains
1. Roll clay. Tear off a square of waxed paper. Place a small ball of clay in the center. Cover with another square of waxed paper. Press flat with hand. Use a rolling pin to roll clay until it is about 1/4 inch thick. Remove top layer of waxed paper.
2. Cut shapes. Use cookie cutters to cut star shapes from clay. Remove the excess clay. Unfold a paper clip once (it will form an "S" shape). Cut paper clip in the center using a wire cutter. Push the ends of one paper clip half (a U shape) into the top of each ornament until about 1/4 inch juts out of the star. Smooth any wrinkles by applying a drop of hot water to the clay surface and smoothing with finger while the clay is wet. Let star shapes dry.
3. Paint. Paint the back of the stars silver or gold as desired. Let the paint dry. Turn over and paint the sides and top. Let the paint dry.
4. Embellish. Use your finger to press studs or eyelets into the clay stars where desired. To attach stars together, carefully push 18-gauge wire through the stars to be attached. Shape the wire as desired.
5. Add chain for hanging. Thread chain through the top paper clip loops to make hangers.