Heart and Star Mittens
You can make a matching pair of hearts or stars, or one of each.What You Need:
- Tracing paper and pencil
- Fusible web paper; scissors
- 1/2 yard print corduroy
- 1/2 yard lining fabric
- Two 6-1/2x6-1/2-inch pieces of fleece (for cuffs)
- 20 inches of 1/4-inch-wide elastic
- 4x4-inch piece of imitation suede, such as Ultrasuede (for hearts or stars)
- 1-1/2x1-1/2-inch pieces of imitation suede, in 6 different colors (for circles)
- Embroidery floss in desired colors
1. Download the patterns. Downloading requires free Adobe Acrobat software. Enlarge the patterns if necessary so that 1 square equals 1 inch, and trace onto fusible web paper. Trace circles separately from heart or star. Cut out patterns.
2. Cut pieces. When cutting shapes from mitten and lining fabrics, reversing the shapes for the opposite mitten. Fuse decorative pattern pieces to corresponding imitation suede. Cut out.
3. Attach decorations to mitten front. Fuse decorations to mitten front. Blanket-stitch around outside edge using 3 strands of floss.
4. Stitch mitten seams with right sides together, using a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Stitch the thumb gusset around the curved edge from A to B. Stitch the inner seam of thumb and palm, tapering to a point at A. Cut the elastic in half. Machine-zigzag over the elastic stretched on the wrong side of the palm/thumb, 3 inches down from the top edge. Trim the excess elastic. Stitch mitten palm to back, along side and finger curve. Turn right side out.
5. Stitch lining. Repeat step 3 for the lining, leaving an opening for turning in side seam.
6. Decorate cuffs with blanket stitches around the bottom edge.
7. Stitch cuffs. Stitch ends of each cuff together. Press seams open. Fold cuff in half with wrong sides facing and matching raw edges.
8. Attach mitten and cuff. Ease-stitch along the top edge of the cuff and baste to the mitten.
9. Assemble mitten. Slip mitten into lining, matching side seams and thumb. Stitch top edge. Slip-stitch opening in lining closed. Tuck the lining into mitten and turn cuff down.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!