Denim is always fashionable -- especially when paired with fleece and decorated with buttons and embroidery.What You Need:
- Tracing paper and pencil
- Fusible web paper; scissors
- 1/2 yard denim (you can start with smaller pieces from jeans)
- 1/2 yard lining fabric
- Two 6-1/2x6-1/2-inch pieces of fleece (for cuffs)
- 20 inches of 1/4-inch-wide elastic
- Sew-through buttons
- Cotton embroidery floss
1. Download the pattern. Download requires free Adobe Acrobat software. Enlarge the pattern if necessary so that 1 square equals 1 inch, and trace onto fusible web paper. Cut out pattern.
2. Make two patchworks from denim, allowing enough fabric for mitten fronts.
3. Cut shapes from mitten and lining fabrics (reversing the shapes for the opposite mitten).
4. Trim mitten fronts. Trim as desired using embroidery floss and specialty stitches such as feather, lazy daisy, French knot, blanket, and straight stitches. Add buttons where desired, taking care not to overlap into seam allowance.
5. Stitch mitten seams with right sides together, using a 1/4-inch seam allowance. Stitch the thumb gusset around the curved edge from A to B. Stitch the inner seam of thumb and palm, tapering to a point at A. Cut the elastic in half. Machine-zigzag over the elastic stretched on the wrong side of the palm/thumb, 3 inches down from the top edge. Trim the excess elastic. Stitch mitten palm to back, along side and finger curve. Turn right side out.
6. Stitch lining. Repeat step 3 for the lining, leaving an opening for turning in side seam.
7. Stitch cuffs. Stitch ends of each cuff together. Press seams open. Trim cuffs with buttons or embroidery as desired. Fold each cuff in half with wrong sides facing and matching raw edges.
8. Attach mitten and cuff. Ease-stitch along the top edge of the cuff and baste to the mitten.
9. Assemble mitten. Slip mitten into lining, matching side seams and thumb. Stitch top edge. Slip-stitch opening in lining closed. Tuck the lining into mitten and turn cuff down.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!