Pumpkins in a Hurry
Carved, painted, or decked in
sequins, these starstruck
pumpkins are stunning alone or
in a grouping.
- Pumpkins of all sizes
- Paint pen in desired color (often used for fabric painting, available at fabric, discount, and crafts stores)
- Small paring knife
- Votive candle
- Star sequins
- Straight pins with colored pearl ends
- Small star cookie cutter
1. For paint-pen pumpkin: To make a paint-pen pumpkin, draw stars in desired colors all over the pumpkin.
2. For candleholder pumpkin: To make a candleholder pumpkin, cut a round hole (large enough to hold a votive candle) with a paring knife in the top of the pumpkin and scoop out. Decorate around the hole with paint pen as desired. Place a votive candle into the hole.
3. For sequined pumpkin. To make a sequined pumpkin, attach star sequins using straight pins with pearl ends.
4. For cookie-cutter pumpkin. To make a cookie-cutter pumpkin, press the star cookie cutter into the surface of the pumpkin and remove the "skin" of the star shape using a small paring knife.Tips:
- Wind the ends of a metallic pipe cleaner around a pencil, slip off, and attach a pipe cleaner to the stem of a miniature pumpkin.
- Attach a purchased artificial fall leaf at the stem of the pumpkin and display in a small pile of leaves.