Special Occasion Seating
A simple ribbon closure and sheer fabric makes this an easy way to dress up chairs yet still allow the furniture's beauty to show through.What You Need:
(For each slipcover)
- Fabric (see Step 1 to determine yardage)
- Tape measure
- 3/4-inch-wide paper-backed fusible web tape (optional)
- 4 yards of 2-inch-wide sheer ribbon
1. Determine amount of fabric needed. Measure the width of the chair back, and add 3 inches for seam allowances. Measure the chair back from the bottom front, over the top, and down to the bottom back. Add 3 inches for seam allowances. Note: When purchasing fabric, allow for extra fabric to center a large overall design or to match a plaid.
2. Cut slipcover from fabric. Cut one rectangle, as measured, for each chair to be covered. If fabric has a large design or a plaid pattern, consider the placement of front and back carefully before cutting.
3. To machine-hem the slipcover: Press under 1-1/2 inches on each edge of the fabric rectangle. Open up the pressed fabric. Fold each raw edge to the pressed edge, and finger-press in place. Refold along the pressed edge, and press again with an iron, setting both folds. Miter the corners, if desired. Topstitch 1/2 inch from the outer edge all around the rectangle.
For a no-sew hem: Press under 1-1/2 inches on each edge of the fabric rectangle. Open up the pressed fabric and, following the manufacturer's instructions, place the paper-backed fusible web tape on the wrong side of the fabric along the pressed edge. Fuse the tape in place. Remove the paper backing from the tape. Trim the hem even with the fusible tape. Refold the hem and fuse.
4. Cut ribbon. Cut eight 18-inch lengths. Press under a 3/8-inch seam allowance at one short end of each ribbon. Pin the ribbons in pairs to the wrong side of the slipcover, matching the pressed short end with the edge of the hem. Topstitch in place.
5. Tie slipcover in place. Place the slipcover over the chair back. Tie ribbons into bows.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!