This project involves almost no hand sewing, since the ribbons are encased in the upper seam when the stocking and lining are joined. Finished size is approximately 17 inches.What You Need:
- 3/4 yard red velvet
- 3/4 yard lining fabric
- Thread to match fabric
- Dressmaker's chalk
- 3 yards each of 2 coordinating white-and-gold organdy ribbons, 1 or 2 inches wide
- 3 yards of 1-inch-wide white organdy ribbon
- 3/4 yard of 1/8-inch-wide gold satin ribbon
- 1 large and 2 small brass star charms
- Fabric glue
1. Download the free pattern for the two stockings in this article. (This requires Adobe Acrobat software.) Enlarge the pattern to scale by drawing a grid of 1-inch squares and copying the lines, square by square, from the pattern. Or enlarge it on a photocopier (this will require several passes).
2. Fold the velvet in half with right sides facing, and trace the pattern on the wrong side of the fabric.
3. Sew along the drawn line, leaving the top straight edge unstitched. Cut along the top straight edge and then 1/2 inch beyond the stitched line. Clip the curves and turn the stocking right side out.
4. Cut the organdy ribbons into 8-inch lengths for the fringe. Pin two layers of the organdy ribbons around the top of the stocking, matching one short end of each ribbon to the raw edge of the stocking; baste in place.
5. Cut one 8-inch and two 6-inch lengths of ribbon. (Set the remaining 7 inches of ribbon aside for the hanger.) Thread the 8-inch length through the loop on the large star charm and glue the ribbon end in place to secure the charm. Repeat for the small star charms on the 6-inch lengths. Baste the free ends of the ribbons to the ribbon cuff.
6. Fold the remaining 7 inches of gold ribbon in half for a hanger. Sew the hanger to the top corner of the stocking, matching raw edges.
7. Stitch and cut out the lining as directed for the stocking, leaving an opening at the bottom for turning. Do not turn.
8. Slip the stocking into the lining with the right sides facing. Sew around the upper edge of the cuff.
9. Turn the stocking right side out through the opening in the bottom of the lining. Slip-stitch the opening closed. Tuck the lining inside.
10. Trim the ribbon fringe to varying lengths.