Sew up a storm and trim the aftermath with twinkling metal stars. Unlined felt is topstitched together, then the edges are pinked instead of hemmed. Finished size is approximately 16 inches.What You Need:
- 1/2 yard red wool felt
- Metallic gold or green thread
- 20 to 30 small and large silver star-shaped nail heads
- Pinking shears or rotary cutter with pinking blade and mat
1. Download the free pattern. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.) Enlarge the pattern to scale by drawing a grid of 1-inch squares and copying the lines, square by square, from the pattern. Or enlarge it on a photocopier (this will require several passes).
2. Cut out two stockings with regular shears, following the pattern. (See Note below.) Cut 1x6-inch felt hanger with pinking shears.
3. Attach the stars to the stocking front according to manufacturer's instructions, keeping the stars at least 1 inch from edges of fabric.
4. With wrong sides together, baste stocking front to back. Using a tight, narrow zigzag stitch, machine-satin-stitch 3/4 inch from curved edges; leave top open. Pink sewn edges.
5. Machine-satin-stitch 1/4 inch from the long edges of the hanger. Fold hanger in half and sew or glue to back of stocking.
Note: If your pinking shears will not cut two layers of felt as required in Step 4, use pinking shears to cut out the stocking front and back pieces in Step 2, then align pinked edges when sewing.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!