Veggies on the Side
Pea PodWhat You Need:
- XL (18-20) green sweatshirt
- 1/2 lb. bag of fiberfill stuffing
- 3-4 green pipe cleaners
- 3 sheets of green felt
1. Download the free how-to illustrations for this project. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software.)
2. Sever sleeves. Cut off sweatshirt sleeves. Save both sleeves for pea-pod hat.
3. Cut, stitch sweatshirt. Cut open the shirt's side seams. Lay shirt open, right side down (see Fig. 1 of downloaded file). To create shoulder pads, fold outside shoulder edge into collar seam. Stuff and stitch. For front and back, fold sweatshirt bottoms into thirds. Fold bottom edges in half again. Stitch each folded bottom edge together.
4. Stuff sweatshirt. Stitch from armhole to bottom cuff (see Fig. 2) and stuff with fiberfill.
5. Decorate pod. Cut 3 felt circles. Sew or glue 2 to front of pea pod.
6. Create hat. To make hat, twist one sleeve cuff and wrap with pipe cleaners. Cut leaf out of felt; attach to pipe cleaner. Glue remaining pea to sleeve. Stuff sleeve with crunched newspaper to give hat form.
7. Line hat. Create lining by stitching second sleeve (turned inside out) to stuffed sleeve at shoulder ends. Push second sleeve inside hat.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!