Learning Guide: Fifth Grade
In the Classroom
Teachers will show students how to...
- Pull ideas together; investigate complex questions; develop techniques for organizing a written report or story, such as outline, list, note cards; learn debating skills.
- Write stories with a fully developed beginning, middle and end; create poetry; write reports on assigned topics.
- Break down numbers into factors; perform long division comfortably; multiply and divide decimals; add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators.
- Convert, compare, and compute with common units of measure; compare and contrast angles in relation to right angles.
- Understand that nations are interdependent and make alliances to promote common interests; discuss complexities of families; learn concepts of latitude and longitude on globes and maps.
- Learn to use a microscope; observe phenomena associated with electricity, light, and sound.
Continued on page 3: