Learning Guide: First Grade
In the Classroom
Teachers will show students how to...
- Listen more carefully and for longer periods of times to stories. Focus more on the meaning of the words.
- Recognize cause/effect relationships; predict the outcome of a situation.
- Write simple stories.
- Compare sets of objects using math symbols; read and write numerals (0 to 100) and number sentences; know the meaning
of each digit in two-digit numbers; understand that a single object may represent a group (a dime represents 10 pennies).
- Add and subtract single digits. Gather information; graph it (pile up blocks to show ratio of kids who prefer dogs to those who prefer cats) and draw conclusions; learn units of measure; tell time to the half-hour.
- Study simple social concepts (holidays, our nation and flag).
- Care for, and learn about needs of, animals and plants; discover by experimentation that objects have certain properties (weight, color, texture, etc.).
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!