Learning Guide: Third Grade
6 Ways You Can Help
- Discuss the books your child is reading both in and out of school. The point isn't to test what she understands; it's simply to help her think about her reactions to the characters and their conflicts.
- Encourage her to write by writing yourself; find a pen pal -- e-mail or U.S. mail -- she can correspond with.
- Help your child set up a lemonade stand or sell objects she's made herself or grown in her garden. Show her how to keep track of expenses and revenues.
- Let your child plan the dinner or breakfast menu for a week. Together, figure out what food items you already have and which ones need to be purchased.
- Practice estimating. When shopping, have your child keep a running total in her head of three of four items. After the bill is totaled, see how close she came.
- Spend time with your child on the Internet. Show her how to use search engines to find useful information.
Continued on page 4: