Learning Guide:Second Grade
In the Classroom
Teachers show students how to...
- Deepen their ability to read with fluency; begin to read for information. Read more complex stories and books.
- Unlock the meaning of longer words by understanding how words are constructed -- root words, prefixes, suffixes, and
- Arrange events in order; summarize a reading selection.
- Alphabetize according to two or more letters.
- Write on a variety of topics and in a variety of genres (fiction; non-fiction; how-to; poems).
- Use hundreds, tens and ones to show place value; recognize fractions.
- Add and subtract two-digit numbers.
- Solve word problems using addition and subtraction; use charts and graphs to answer questions.
- Measure money, time, length, weight/mass; tell time to the nearest five minutes.
- Classify objects, plants or animals; use scales and balances, thermometers.
- See more about the people in their world, recognize how their neighborhood is made up of individuals who do a variety of
jobs and interact in a number of ways.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!