How to Pack
Filling a Suitcase
The goal in packing a suitcase is to fill it completely so that clothes don't slide over one another and cause wrinkling. If you're planning on taking home a fair load of souvenirs, consider leaving space in your bag and filling the gaps with crumpled tissue paper. Two other options: Buy an expandable suitcase or pack a lightweight foldable bag to tote your stuff home.The Right Way to Pack
Put pants and dresses
in first, then fold over
atop other clothes.
- Lay dresses or slacks inside the suitcase with the lower portions draped over the edges. Line the sides of the suitcase with belts.
- Place a layer of folded items that can be allowed to wrinkle (such as sweatshirts and T-shirts) on top of the first layer.
- Bagged items and a toiletry kit go in next.
- Layers of folded shirts, blouses, sweaters, shorts, and the like rest atop the bagged goods. If you are packing a tailored jacket, turn it inside-out. Fold it lengthwise first, then into thirds.
- Finally, fold pant legs over clothes in the case. Put bagged shoes and other hard items (like the steamer shown here) along the outside edge of the case.