Afraid to Commit: Young Men Want to Wait on Marriage
The study also reached some additional conclusions. Among them:
- Men believe it's best to become friends with a woman before asking her out on a date. Several said they are uncomfortable talking to strangers in bars and appreciate the benefits of a meaningful relationship that grows from friendship.
- The men are generally opposed to having a romantic relationship with a woman who works in their place of employment.
- The men want their wives to work outside the home. They think a wife who works will be a more interesting companion.
- Though the support working wives, the men were less supportive of working mothers. The concensus among the men interviewed is that one parent should stay home or care should be provided by a relative.
- The men were highly critical of divorce. But they feel that couples should break up if they fall out of love, even if kids are involved.
- The men were not optimistic about the future of marriage as a lifelong commitment. They said people continue to change and grow and this makes it harder to stay married to one person for a lifetime.
Continued on page 5: