Easy Ways to Keep the Flames Burning
It's the Little Things
When the stars aligned and the two of you first got together, romance was in the air. Fireworks exploded, birds sang, flowers bloomed. But sooner or later, "real life" intervenes. Suddenly, it's hard work to keep the mundane -- job woes, money troubles, arguments over who's turn it is to take out the trash -- from dousing the flames of your passion. Want to ratchet up the romance in your relationship? Try these creative yet doable ideas for dates and more.
1. Wake him gently. Spare him from being jolted awake by a harsh alarm. Instead, help him get up on the right side of the bed with a glass of fresh-squeezed juice and a smooch.
2. Kill the lights. Eat dinner by candlelight, even if the meal is just a pizza or take-out Chinese. The gentle flickering works wonders to tame tension, and hopefully spark something else...
3. Think skivvies. Splurge on spiffy new underwear for you and him, even if neither of you technically "need" any right now. You'll both feel pampered, and share a frisky little secret.
4. Be a class act. Enroll the two of you in a day or weekend course to discover hidden talents or just have fun, suggests Michael Webb, founder of TheRomantic.com. Do your best to make sure it's something the both of you will enjoy, not just you; if your sweetie avoids the kitchen at all costs, pass on Intro to French Cuisine.
5. Stockpile bubbly. Always have a bottle of champagne on hand so you can celebrate anything (or nothing!) at the drop of a hat, advises Jennifer Good, creator of Lovingyou.com.
6. Trip the light fantastic. To wash away the weariness of a long day, cue up a recording of your wedding song (or a tune you both love, if you've not done the aisle walk) and dance close for the duration.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!