Getting Whiter Teeth
Try our simple suggestions for a gleaming grin.
« Previous | 1 of 1 | Next »
Make your smile your greatest asset with our 10 easy ways to brighten up:
- Switch from red to white. Red wine's dark hue stains teeth. White wine is just as pleasant to drink, without the darkening effect.
- Floss daily. Sticky plaque between teeth attracts dark food particles that stain. Flossing helps eliminate plaque.
- Paint on brightness. Remove mild stains and discoloration with a peroxide-based, paint-on whitener, such as Colgate Simply White or Crest Night Effects.
- Take it light. Adding milk to coffee and tea cuts these substances' staining potential dramatically.
- Chew crunchy foods. Vegetables and fruits with crunch act as natural toothbrushes, whisking away plaque and keeping teeth clean.
- Try a power toothbrush. When used correctly, it can remove more plaque and keep teeth whiter than traditional brushes can.
- Multitask. Sticky whitening strips such as Crest Whitestrips work nearly invisibly, so you can wear them on your commute or while you cook dinner.
- Invest in bleaching trays. Your dentist takes molds of your teeth, and then creates custom bleaching trays. You fill the trays with whitening gel and wear them for a length of time ranging from a half hour to overnight, depending on the strength of the gel. Use the trays daily until you achieve the brightness you want, and then simply touch up every few months to keep your smile white.
- Try power whitening. It's the fastest (and most expensive) option -- a dentist coats your teeth with a bleaching solution, then exposes them to a special light to take them several shades whiter in under an hour.
- Don't forget the basics. Boring, but true: Brushing twice a day and flossing once a day is crucial to keeping your teeth as white as they can be.