Mascara's New Magic
Maximize Your Lashes
Try these tips from the pros.
- Makeup pro Bobbi Brown suggests gently lifting your upper eyelid with your finger while applying mascara for a better result.
- Since most women have less pigment at the tips of their lashes, makeup artist Jessica Liebeskind suggests applying that second coat of mascara only to the tips for a lengthening look.
- Instead of wearing eyeliner, concentrate the bulk of the mascara at the roots -- you'll get a similar effect with less product.
- To apply mascara to lower lashes without smudging, try this: First, wipe the wand on a paper towel to remove excess product. Second, use just the tip of the brush by holding the wand vertically while coating lashes.
- Apply a blue- or purple-tinted mascara to lower lashes. The subtle touch of color will make eyes appear brighter without being too dramatic, says Jane Iredale makeup artist Kevin Mendelson.
Originally published in Ladies' Home Journal, November 2006.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!