The Power of Palettes
One of my favorite recent trends is the popularity of palettes -- palm-sized cosmetic kits that include a variety of makeup colors. A good one will include everything you need for a complete look, and will fit in even the smallest evening bag, whether you need an office-to-party transition or just touch-ups throughout the night.
The best part is that palettes are perfect on a budget -- you get to dabble with a variety of colors and formulas for the price of only one product. So add your own name to your holiday gift list -- guilt free!
Here are my tips for finding the best palettes for you:
- Look for makeup palettes that contain a variety of shades for eyes, lips, and cheeks, all in the same color family. This takes the guesswork out of trying new colors, and guarantees you'll always have the right shade on hand when you need it. No more grabbing the wrong lipstick on your way out the door!
- Women with cool skin tones should opt for rosy pinks, shimmery blues, and smoky grays, while those with warm tones can look for sexy bronzes, flushed peaches, and deep plum and berry colors. Unsure about your skin tone? Stick to neutrals. You can still get drama and variety with neutral tones; they are actually my favorite shades to work with.
- Some great palettes come with their own accoutrements. Look for palettes with small brushes or sponge-tip applicators to make on-the-go touch-ups a breeze.
- A great palette is perfectly portable. It should fit in the smallest evening bag, and maybe even your boyfriend's pocket. This season I have created a palette, called the Girls' Night Out Kit, which has a special holder for a credit card and identification. You might even be able to get away without carrying a purse.
- Once you find a palette you like, stock up. They're ideal as stocking stuffers, for office swaps, and as last-minute gifts for that one person you'll inevitably leave off your list.
Sonia Kashuk's book, Real Beauty, is available at bookstores nationwide.