Get Clear Skin
Blemishes can be a bother no matter what your age -- and some women actually get more acne-prone as the years pass! Here, 10 easy ways to beat breakouts:
- Check your makeup. More emollient formulas can combat the dryness of aging skin, but often contain pore-clogging oils. Switch to an oil-free formula.
- Cleanse thoroughly. If you're using a creamy cleanser, be sure to rinse completely -- residue left on skin can cause breakouts.
- Examine your hair products. Leave-in conditioners applied to hair around your face can wind up on your skin and clog pores.
- Try a toner. A glycolic-based facial toner helps exfoliate skin, sloughing away the dead skin cells that contribute to clogged pores.
- Consider prescription products. Your dermatologist can prescribe effective acne fighters, such as Renova, which also have anti-aging properties.
- Pick a gel sunscreen. Creamy sunscreens often contain thick emollients -- which can cause breakouts if you wear them every day. Gel sunscreens offer sun protection in a lighter, skin-friendly formulation.
- Cut back on creams. As our skin starts to show signs of aging, we often pile on so-called "miracle creams." But most dermatologists agree that a simpler face-care routine is best for acne-prone skin.
- See your dermatologist -- to make sure your problem is acne, and not something else. Rosacea and other skin conditions can cause eruptions that look like acne, but need to be treated differently.
- Watch ingredients. Avoid products containing oils, lanolin, and petrolatum, all of which can cause pimples.
- Treat consistently. The key to preventing future acne eruptions is a careful, consistent regimen. That means using a gentle acne-fighting product daily, even when no blemishes are visible.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!