Glow With Self-Tanner
A Not-So-Savage Tan
You know that tanning is taboo -- but if you still crave bronzed skin for summertime, try self-tanner! Here, 10 easy steps for making your self-tan look gorgeous:
1. Moisturize regularly. Dry skin soaks up more tanner than hydrated skin; this can result in blotches. For a week before you tan, apply lotion after each shower to boost your skin's moisture quotient.
2. Choose the right tanner. Go with a lighter shade rather than a darker one, then reapply if you want deeper color.
3. Try a goof-proof formula. While most tanners today give you an even brown color instead of the orangey one you may remember from tanners in the past, there's still room for streaks. Try a tinted tanner, which allows you to see where you apply and ensures an even tan.
4. Exfoliate all over. Doing so with a scrub or loofah gets rid of dead skin cells and helps you achieve an even tan.
5. Do double exfoliation duty on rough spots. Knees, elbows, and feet need an extra shot of exfoliation to remove dead skin buildup. Go over these areas twice with your loofah or scrub.