Help for Aging Skin
Eyes Wide Open
The delicate skin around your eyes needs extra-special attention to look fresh and healthy. Unlike the heartier skin on your cheeks or forehead, for example, this skin is much thinner and lacks protective oil glands. "The eye area is especially vulnerable to sun damage, and squinting and smiling strain it as well," says Dr. Brandt. Besides lines and wrinkles, dark circles and puffiness plague this sensitive spot, too.
There's no better way to tackle all these concerns than with an eye cream. If you're not already using one, run out and get one right now! The best eye creams zero in on these common concerns by using lightening ingredients, such as plant-based arbutin, and caffeine to reduce swelling. Also, they're specifically formulated for this delicate area. It's not a good idea to slather your antiaging cream around your eyes; what works wonderfully to reduce your pores, for example, could make your eye area burn and peel.Ingredients to Look For
Arbutin and other lighteners: Help to break down the accumulated pigmentation (caused by aging, allergies, and poor diet) that results in those dreaded dark circles.
Caffeine: A diuretic, caffeine constricts blood vessels, which reduces swelling and undereye bags.
Mica and other light-reflecting ingredients: Typically found in foundations, mica creates the illusion of a lighter undereye area.Our Favorites
- DHC Revitalizing Moisture Strips: Eyes ($6.50) with arbutin, lightens circles and deflates puffiness.
- H20 + Waterwhite Brightening Eye Cream SPF 12 ($25) features sun-lightening vitamin C.
- Robanda Triple Action Eye Gel ($27) has retinol to treat, aloe to deflate puffiness, and vitamin E to hydrate.
- SkinCeuticals Eye Cream ($55) targets puffiness, sagging, and dark circles with vitamins and lighteners.
- Essencia Youth Glow Eye Therapy ($29.50) uses hazelnut to clear circles.
- Amore Pacific Intensive Vitalizing Eye Complex ($45) has caffeine for reducing undereye puffiness.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!