Bebe Neuwirth: Celebrity Profile
Get acquainted with the multi-talented actress.
« Previous | 1 of 1 | Next »
Born: Beatrice Neuwirth, December 31, 1958, in Newark, NJ
Personal: Divorced from theater director Paul Dorman (1984-1991).Career Highlights:
- Bebe began studying dance when she was 5, and attended The Juilliard School in New York, where she majored in dance.
- She got her start as a professional performer in 1978 when she toured with A Chorus Line. She played various roles, including the tough-talking Sheila and the more vulnerable Cassie.
- She hit Broadway in 1982 when she landed roles in both Little Me and Bob Fosse's Dancin'.
- She continued appearing on Broadway and made it to the big time in 1986 when she got the part of Nickie in Bob Fosse's Sweet Charity, for which she won her first Tony award.
- Bebe first appeared on television in 1983 as a member of a dance troupe on the long-running soap The Edge of Night.
- In 1986, she began her classic Cheers role, as intimidating psychiatrist Lilith Sternin Crane, for which she won two Emmy Awards. In 1993, Bebe asked that Lilith be written out of the show so that she could concentrate on her film career.
- She made her film debut as John Cusack's guidance counselor in the 1989 Cameron Crowe feature, Say Anything.
- Other movies in which she has appeared include Jumanji with Robin Williams, Bugsy with Warren Beatty, Spike Lee's Summer of Sam, and the 2003 comedy How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days with Kate Hudson.
- Bebe was lauded for her performance as Velma Kelly in the 1997 Broadway revival of Chicago, receiving a second Tony, as well as several critics' awards for her efforts.
- She has guest-starred on several hit television shows throughout her career including Fame, Star Trek: The Next Generation, and Law & Order: SVU.
- Bebe was raised in Princeton, New Jersey. Her mother, Sydney Anne, is an artist and father Lee is a mathematician. She has one brother, Peter, who is an actuary.
- She has said that dance legend Bob Fosse has had the greatest impact on her career.
- You can hear Bebe in episodes of The Magic School Bus and Sabrina, the Teenage Witch, and she was the voice of Annabelle in the animated feature All Dogs Go to Heaven 2.
- She has revisited the character of Lilith on several episodes of the Cheers spinoff, Frasier.