Baking the CookiesWhat You Need:
Use these cookies as decorations,
gifts, or place markers for
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 1 8-ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cookie sticks
1. In a mixing bowl, beat margarine or butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to high speed about 30 seconds or until softened. Add about half of the flour, the sugar, egg, baking powder, and vanilla to the margarine mixture. Beat until thoroughly combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Then beat or stir in the remaining flour.
Use ordinary cookie cutters to
create various shapes.
2. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 3 to 24 hours or until easy to handle. On a lightly floured surface roll each portion of dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2-1/2-to-3-1/2-inch shapes (such as tulips, flowers, or bunnies).
3. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Tuck a wooden stick under the center of each cookie. Press dough down slightly so that the cookie bakes around the stick. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned. Carefully remove cookies and cool on wire rack. Makes about 36 cookies (fewer if larger cookie cutters are used).
Special cookie pans can often
make the job easier.
TIP: Cookie pans are another option. For the best results, use the recipe included with the pan. Press the dough into the pan and insert the sticks.