Add Royal IcingWhat You Need:
As an alternative, use royal icing
to write a message to special
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 16-ounce package powdered sugar, sifted (4-1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Paste food color
1. Combine meringue powder, water, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream of tartar in a small mixer bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until combined, then on high speed for 7 to 10 minutes or until very stiff. Use at once.
2. Divide icing; tint with paste food color as desired. When not using icing, keep it covered with clear plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. Makes 3 cups.
3. Fill a decorator tube with Royal Icing and make dots, squiggles, half circles, and stars on the cookies. Allow to dry completely.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!