For one candle:
- 1 empty half-gallon cardboard milk carton, top removed
- Pillar candle, 2 inches in diameter
- 6 or more rosebuds
- Sprigs of fresh holly
- Work gloves (optional)
- Shallow bowl or tray
- Additional roses and holly, plus baby's breath (for finished display)
1. Center pillar candle in clean milk carton. Cut the carton to a smaller height if necessary so top of candle (in particular, the wick) is well above the edge of the carton.
2. Stuff fresh holly and rosebuds around the candle. (You may want to wear work gloves when handling holly.) Fill the carton with water. Freeze the carton until the ice is solid.
3. Dip the carton in warm water briefly, then peel the paper away. Place the arrangement back in the freezer until just before serving time.
4. To display, place the centerpiece in a shallow bowl or tray to catch the water as the ice melts. Cluster fresh holly, more roses, and baby's breath around the candle's base.