Create a theme to carry through
all of your coasters.
- Tracing paper
- Carbon paper
- Four 4-3/8-inch-square ceramic tiles
- Permanent marking pen
- Safety glasses
- Tile-cutting nipper
- Tiles, such as Plaid Mosaics, Bags o' Chips (1 bag each of red, orange, green, and yellow, and 2 bags of white)
- Crafts stick
- Tile adhesive
- White sanded tile grout
1. Download the free pattern. (Downloading requires Adobe Acrobat software).
2. Trace the patterns onto tracing paper. Use carbon paper to transfer the designs to the center of each tile. Trace over the carbon paper lines using marking pen.
3. Protect eyes with safety glasses. To break the tiles, use a cutting nipper or hammer. To break tile with a hammer, put tiles on a towel with the colored surface down. Tap with a hammer.
4. Using the patterns as color guides, glue the appropriate tiles inside the marking pen lines. Use a crafts stick to spread tile adhesive on the back of the tile pieces as you go. Fill in around the patterns using white tile pieces.
5. Mix grout according to the manufacturer's instructions. Spread grout on top of the tiles with a spatula and fingers, pressing grout in the spaces between tiles.
6. Wipe grout off the top of the tiles with a damp sponge. Let the grout set. Mix additional grout and spread around the edges with your fingers.More Ideas:
- Look in coloring books for more patterns to use when doing mosaic tiling.
- Make trivets in the same manner, using a larger tile for the base.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!