Set a Stylish Thanksgiving Table
Only three flower varieties
(roses, stock, and lilies) were
used in two colors to keep this
Fruit and Floral Centerpiece
Easy elegance best describes this holiday table setting. The table runner is a folded tablecloth -- a good solution when you don't have a cloth large enough for a leaf-extended table. The centerpiece can be created at home using a small glass and bowl. Inexpensive ornaments personalized with the guests' names in gold metallic pen act as place markers and take-home gifts. Arrange the stunning centerpiece of sugared grapes and fresh flowers quickly and easily with this method.What You Need:
- Small glass with straight sides
- Clear glass bowl
- 3 yards lightweight floral wire
- Sugared grapes
- Selection of fresh flowers
1. Rinse grape clusters in water and lay them on paper towels to dry. When they have dried, dip them in beaten egg whites, then in white sugar. Allow them to dry for several hours or overnight on a cooling rack.
2. Clean the flowers and stems of wilted petals, thorns, and excess leaves. Separate the flowers by color and variety.
3. Arrange the flowers with your left hand acting as a vase; see Photo 1. Do this by placing one large bloom, such as a lily, so that it is held loosely in the area between your thumb and pointer finger. Continue adding one or two stems at a time, alternating the variety and color. Turn the bouquet frequently so that you can check all the sides for color placement and holes.
4. Wrap the finished bouquet stems with floral wire starting just under the blooms and wrapping snugly about 4 inches down the stems. Secure the wire by pulling it up between the stems and cutting. Trim the stems straight across so the bouquet will stand in the glass of water.
5. Assemble the arrangement by setting the glass in the bowl. (Wipe off any excess moisture from the glass, as this will break down the sugar on the grapes.) Arrange the sugared grapes around it, as shown in Photo 2.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!