How to Clean Out Your Closets
How to Shop
- Don't go without a list. "It's the same as going to the grocery store," says Summers. "A list will keep you focused, so you won't wind up with bits and pieces that don't work together."
- If you find a basic you really love, buy two.
- Don't buy something because it's on sale. "The money you spend could be used toward the one piece that will really pull your outfits together," says Summers.
- If you find fabulous evening wear, buy it. "If you happen upon that perfect black dress, eventually you'll have the occasion to wear it," says Summers. "Nothing's worse than buying something formal on deadline."
- Get a variety of dark pants and skirts. "They will take you everywhere," says Summers. "I recommend a full-leg trouser, a dressy and casual pair, and a dark skirt."
Continued on page 3: