Find the Right Hairstylist
6. Suss out your stylist at the consultation. Show your potential stylist pictures of the hairdo you want; see how he reacts to the cut and what he has to say about how it could work on you. Look for someone with an upbeat attitude who isn't afraid to spend time with you and offer new ideas.
7. Talk to other clients. While at the salon, ask the stylist you consult with to point out her other clients. You can check out their hair, and even discreetly ask them about the stylist while they wait for a shampoo.
8. Take cost into consideration. It's a waste to find a stylist you adore and then discover you can't afford his or her prices! Ask about costs up front.
9. Don't be afraid to say no. If the stylist you meet with doesn't seem like a good fit, it's perfectly fine to thank him for his time and leave without making an appointment.
10. Go with your gut. You know if you like someone when you first meet him. If your potential stylist has great things to say, fresh ideas, makes you feel welcome, and doesn't pressure you, take the plunge and book an appointment!
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!