Maintain Your Hair Color
Color Me Beautiful
Want vibrant, long-lasting hair color? Try these 10 ways to keep yours looking great:
1. Don't wash your hair the day you color it. Allow your scalp's natural oils to build up for a day. This will protect your scalp from irritation. (If your skin becomes irritated, you'll have to wash your hair immediately, rinsing away the new color.)
2. Swear off shampoo for two days. After coloring, avoid washing your hair for two days to keep the color on your hair -- not down the drain.
3. Use a shampoo and conditioner for color-treated hair. These products, like Frederic Fekkai's Baby Blonde, Rio Red and Brilliant Brown shampoos ($20 for 8 ounces), are formulated to maintain your new color. Normal shampoos and conditioners can be too harsh.
4. Use cool water in the shower. Colorists swear that hot water fades shades, while cool keeps color in place.
5. Beware of dryer heat. Too much of it can cause hair color to oxidize, turning brassy and dull. Blow-dry as little as you can.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!