Maintain Your Hair Color
6. Protect your locks from the sun. The sun's rays can also oxidize color. Protect your hair with a leave-in conditioner or a special sunscreen for hair before going outside.
7. Condition religiously. Because hair color is a chemical, it can weaken your hair and cause it to break easily. Regular conditioning can keep strands pliable and break-resistant.
8. Choose the right shade. Reds are notorious for fading the quickest; if you're concerned about fading, go for a brown or blond shade.
9. Touch up regularly. Semi- and demi-permanent colors need retouching every six to eight weeks; permanent colors need touchups every four to six weeks; and double-process blond needs a touchup every two to four weeks.
10. Trim regularly. Fried, straggly ends make hair color look dull and dingy. Get a trim at least once every two months to avoid this.