Salon Etiquette 101
How much do I leave for the shampoo girl? Who do I tell if I'm unhappy with my cut? What if I really don't want to buy the products the salon is trying to sell me? If you feel unsure sometimes about the ins and outs of salon etiquette, you're not alone. At our salon, we get a lot of questions from clients wanting to be sure they're doing all they should to ensure great service and great hair.
What we hope our clients realize, and every salon patron should know, is that a salon experience should be all about servicing you. Your comfort and happiness should be top priority, wherever you go.
That being said, keep in mind that being pleasant and open to suggestions is a nice way to treat salon staffers and stylists, especially as they are aiming to please you. A little reciprocal TLC is always appreciated and noticed. For salon success all around, try these suggestions.Etiquette Basics
- Most salons have a 24-hour cancellation policy, so if you can't make an appointment, let the salon know as soon as possible.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time, so you can be changed and chair-ready at the appointed hour.
- Explain in detail what kind of look you have in mind; photos are helpful too. You and your stylist should also discuss your lifestyle, personality, and different ways to style your new look in your pre-cut consultation.
- Keep chatter in check when you're in your stylist's chair. Dishing or venting may be fun, but you don't want to break his or her concentration.
- If your salon offers to sell you products, it's most often because they are the products that were used to get your style at the salon, and will help you recreate the look at home. If you're not interested, or if the product's not in your beauty budget right then, don't be afraid to say so. Your stylist can suggest alternatives or other ways of maintaining your style.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!