Beautiful Beach Hair
Want to look all-around stunning when you hit the sand? Then don't forget your hair! Here, 10 easy ways to make it look its best this summer:
- Swear by leave-in conditioner. Slather it on every morning before going outside, to combat dryness.
- Protect hair from the sun. This is especially important if you color your hair! Use a spray-on UV protectant over your leave-in conditioner to prevent the sun's rays from turning your hair a brassy shade.
- Add an accessory. It's simple but chic: A bright, beachy pony holder gives flair and style to even the simplest swimsuit.
- Use salt as a styling aid. Saltwater gives hair texture and allows it to better hold a style, especially key for lank locks. Take advantage by skipping the shampoo after the beach, then scrunching as you dry hair with a diffuser.
- Trim before summer. Summer tends to make hair dry, so this process will speed up on hair with already-dead ends in need of a cut. Trimming before the summer minimizes damage by removing unhealthy ends before you hit the sun.
- Try braids. They're too youthful for the office, but braided pigtails look fresh and energetic at the beach. Simply part hair down the middle, braid each side, and secure.
- Apply styling paste to short hair. A gummy paste will give short cuts hold and definition, plus protect them from the sun and chlorine. Smooth onto dry hair before going outside.
- Sport a scarf. It has a decidedly Jackie O. feel and protects hair at the same time: Tie a long headscarf over hair, letting the ends dangle.
- Swear off blowdryers. While you're at the beach, vow to air-dry your hair. Using a blowdryer after a day in the sun can make your hair doubly damaged.
- Don't leave home without a wide-tooth comb. While saltwater is a good styling aid, it can leave hair knotted and clumpy. Spritz a bit of your UV protectant onto the comb's teeth and run it through strands after every swim to prevent those knots.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say “Yes” to Ladies' Home Journal® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE - 2 full years (22 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Ladies' Home Journal® Family Favorites Cookbook ABSOLUTELY FREE!